The Campus Living Labs Sustainability Project, is a two-year project, as part of The National Waste Prevention Programme (NWPP) of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and in partnership with the Irish Universities’ Association (IUA),
The ambition of this project is that it will deliver evidence to inform campus sustainability programmes and foster and advance activities that will introduce systemic change in preventing waste and increasing recycling on campus. The promotion of sustainability in production and consumption can contribute significantly to waste prevention.
This project will deliver on National Waste Prevention Programme’s vision to support national-level, strategic programmes to prevent waste and drive the circular economy in Ireland. The project will support the three National Waste Prevention Programme pillars of innovating & demonstrating, delivering through partnerships and advocacy & communication.
This project will:
- Directly address & support the sustainable campus ambitions of Ireland’s universities.
- Link to implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals for Ireland, particularly Goal 12 Responsible Consumption and Production and Goal 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities.
- Assist campuses deliver on current and future legislative requirements regarding waste management, including the following:
- reducing the generation of waste, in particular waste that is not suitable for preparing for reuse or recycling.
- increasing the segregation & recycling of waste (particularly food waste).
- addressing UN Sustainable Development Goal 12.3 to reduce by 50% per capita global food waste at the retail and consumer levels.
The IUA Sustainability Working Group (SWG) will act as steering group for this project. The group reports directly into the IUA Secretaries Group.
- Samantha Fahy, Chairperson and Sustainability Manager DCU
- Michelle O’Dowd Lohan, Sustainability Officer NUI Galway
- Darren Reidy, Sustainability Officer UCC (maternity cover for Dr. Maria Kirrane, Sustainability Officer UCC)
- Chris Fogarty, Energy Manager UL
- Michele Hallahan, Sustainability Advisor Trinity College Dublin
- Pat McDonnell, Head of Estates Strategy Trinity College Dublin
- Kieran Brassil, Facilities Manager UCD
- Ciaran Coffey, Energy Manager Maynooth University
- Mireia Guardino-Ferran, Green Campus Coordinator Maynooth University
The National Waste Prevention Programme, a Government of Ireland initiative, led by the Environmental Protection Agency and funded by the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment, proposes a collaborative project with the Irish Universities’ Association.
Project Manager (part-time) for the Campus Living Labs project is IUA’s Tara Gallagher.