Founded in 1845, National University of Galway have been inspiring students for 170 years. NUI Galway has earned international recognition as a research-led university with a commitment to top quality teaching across a wide range of disciplines, including the Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Business, Law, Science, Engineering, Medicine and Health Sciences.
The unique student experience at NUI Galway owes much to our location in the beautiful west of Ireland. Galway City (pop. almost 80,000) is a ‘college town’ in every sense, with students accounting for approximately 20% of the population of the city during term. This youthful energy is reflected in the many internationally renowned festivals, music, cultural and sporting events that are hosted in the city each year.
Young, vibrant and cosmopolitan, Galway and its surrounding hinterland – Connemara and the Aran Islands – is a major draw for international students who want to experience the real Ireland of rugged countryside, castles, lakes and rivers and savour the unique atmosphere of the city’s restaurants, cafes and traditional Irish music pubs.
- Established: 1845
- 18,000 students
- 96% of NUI Galway Graduates gain employment six months after graduating
- 4 NUIG researchers were named among the World’s Most Highly Cited Researchers 2016 by Clarivate
- We ranked in the top 260 World Universities in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2017/2018
- 364 collaborative R&D projects with industry partners in 10 years
- 10% of the NUIG students body studies Irish or through Irish
- Galway is European Capital of Culture for 2020.
PROF. CIARÁN Ó HÓGARTAIGH
“Given its unique heritage and hinterland, the quality of its people, and the strength and depth of its research and student experience, NUI Galway is exceptionally well-placed to further enhance its reputation and reach both nationally and internationally”.