Under the Pillar 2 of Horizon Europe, Cluster 2 “Culture, Creativity and Inclusive Society” focuses on challenges pertaining to democratic governance, cultural heritage and the creative economy, as well as social and economic transformations.
The Cluster aims to contribute to all policy priorities of the Commission, namely the new push to European democracy, an economy that works for people, the European Green Deal, making Europe fit for the digital age, promoting our European way of life and making Europe stronger in the world. It also addresses issues relevant to the twin Green and Digital transitions and the post-COVID 19 recovery. Future projects should deliver on the three intervention areas matching the Horizon Europe Strategic Plan (2021-2024):
- Democracy and governance
- Cultural heritage
- Social and economic transformations
All topics under this Cluster are expected to mainstream Social Sciences and Humanities and to include a gender dimension. See an example of a successful project in this video.
Follow us on Twitter: @HorizonIE_AHSS
In 2023, there are two important Cluster 2 deadlines.
14 March 2023 – for the calls
- Standing up for democracy HORIZON-CL2-2023-DEMOCRACY
- Research and innovation on cultural heritage and CCIs – 2023 HORIZON-CL2-2023-HERITAGE-01
- Inclusiveness in times of change HORIZON-CL2-2023-TRANSFORMATIONS-01
21 September 2023 – for the calls
- A European Collaborative Cloud for Cultural Heritage HORIZON-CL2-2023-HERITAGE-ECCCH-01-01: A European Collaborative Cloud for Cultural Heritage
More details about the 2023 calls can be found here or in the Cluster 2 Work Programme.
SSH Opportunities & Interdisciplinary in Horizon Europe
Dr Beatrice Lucaroni, EU Commission Senior Policy Officer, talks about the integration of Social Science and Humanities in Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe.
Presentations by experienced Irish PIs, focused on career development and successful experiences with interdisciplinary consortia. Slides available for download here:
- Workshop report -“SSH and Interdisciplinarity in Horizon Europe: Opportunities, barriers and useful support”: SSH-and-Interdisciplinary-in-Horizon-Europe_Opportunities-barriers-and-useful-support-Workshop-Report_July-2022.pdf (iua.ie)
- Work programme 23-24: https://research-and-innovation.ec.europa.eu/funding/funding-opportunities/funding-programmes-and-open-calls/horizon-europe/cluster-2-culture-creativity-and-inclusive-society_en
- Cluster 2 EC info day: recording and resources: Events | The research and innovation community platform (europa.eu)
- EC Commission Event – Lump Sum Funding in Horizon Europe: How does it work? How to write a proposal? – https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/docs/h2020-funding-guide/other/event230209.html
Dr Chiara Loda is the Cluster 2 National Contact Point based at the Irish Universities Association.
The Irish Research Council holds the national support roles for Cluster 2. The NCP service is carried out by the IUA under a partnership with the IRC, the national support agency for Horizon Europe Cluster 2 and joint NCP for ERC.