The IUA now invites applications for the position of IUA Access Project Manager. Based at the IUA office on Merrion Square, the person appointed will report to the IUA Director – Academic Affairs and will work in concert with the Project Advisory Group and other key stakeholder groups.
This is a fixed term contract, ending June 2010. A secondment arrangement will be facilitated where possible.
Overview of IUA Equity of Access Project
Promoting wider and more equitable access to higher education is a key strategic objective of Government and higher education institutions alike. This IUA-led project, involving the seven universities and DIT, seeks to address both strategic and operational challenges associated with increasing the numbers of students from under-represented groups entering higher education. The primary focus of the project is to reform and mainstream two supplementary admissions routes, namely the Higher Education Access Route (HEAR) and Supplementary Admissions Route – Students with a Disability. Following a pilot year in which current schemes were reviewed and new elements tested, the project is now in implementation phase.
Further information about the project can be found here
Profile of Candidate:
This is primarily a project management role on a very visible national project with high policy relevance. The most critical qualities for this role are:
- Effective and persuasive communicator; ability to communicate well with and build consensus among senior university managers and other stakeholders
- In-depth knowledge of access policies, practices and programmes in the higher education sector in Ireland
- Time and project management skills – analytical and methodical approach, and ability to plan, monitor progress, assimilate, interpret and apply information quickly
- Possess relevant research and evaluation skills
- Experience of similar complex projects in this or a related field would be an advantage
- Provide overall leadership and coordinate the roll-out of national HEAR scheme for students applying for admission to higher education in 2010
- Provide leadership and coordination regarding the ongoing roll-out of the supplementary admissions scheme for students with a disability
- Convene and chair meetings of key project contributors and groups
- Oversee the design, build and testing of system(s) in cooperation with CAO that will support the application and processing functions for both schemes
- Work with the Operations Groups to streamline application and assessment processes for both schemes
- In cooperation with the Project Operations Groups, produce comprehensive and detailed operations manuals for both supplementary admissions schemes
- Oversee audit and quality control functions of both schemes, continually reviewing outcomes and processes
- Undertake an analysis of the 2009 schemes, incorporating learning into 2010 schemes
- Coordinate on-going communications campaign for both schemes, including production and dissemination of high quality communications materials; regional road-show; media briefings, etc.
- Support participating institutions to review and clearly articulate their access/admissions policies for non-standard entry routes.
This project is co-funded by the HEA through the Strategic Innovation Fund, the IUA, the universities and DIT.
Remuneration: Salary and other benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Please forward a detailed CV and cover letter, demonstrating the competencies and experience listed above, by post or email by 27th March, 2009 to:
48 Merrion Square
Tel: (01) 676 4948
Applications submitted by or through third parties, including recruitment agencies will be rejected.
Further information about the IUA is available on our website www.iua.ie
The IUA is an equal opportunities employer.