The IUA is delighted to announce that the IUA-CEAIE China Summer Internship Programme will run again in July 2019 and this year has up to 20 scholarships to offer students to participate in the programme. Scholarships include, €500 flight vouchers and/or €1000 voucher towards the cost of summer school.
The objective of the summer school is to help Irish university students develop 21st century professional skills and provide substantive work experience to jump-start their career in today’s competitive job market. Of equal importance is the opportunity for Irish students to discover new horizons, perspectives, culture, food and language.
2019 Program: Beijing Normal University (BNU), will host the students in Beijing in July and August, 2019. The students will undertake a language and cultural programme for 3 weeks at the university. Students will then be placed on an internship for 5 weeks in a company relevant to the discipline they are studying. Applicants must be 18 years or over and the program and scholarship is open to applicants from all disciplines.
in 2018 eight students from Irish Universities undertook the summer school and internship programme in China through an IUA scholarship. The programme was a great success and the students detailed some of their experiences in a series of blogposts.
Grace Hyland Martin a participant from Maynooth University in 2018, said: “This experience has taught me so many new things, about myself and about the world that are invaluable and for which I feel truly privileged. It is definitely an experience that not only do I get to enjoy now, but that I can take with me for the rest of my life.”
For queries contact: Sinead Lucey, IUA Head of International Affairs firstname.lastname@example.orgInformation for Applicants 2019 (PDF) (212 downloads)
To fill in an application form click on START below:
IUA CEAIE partnership: In 2017, the Irish Universities Association (IUA) and China Education Association for International Exchange (CEAIE) entered into a partnership to further develop co-operation between higher education institutions in Ireland and in China. In 2018 it launched a pilot summer school and internship programme for Irish students who were interested in studying and working in China.
Program description and benefits to Irish Students:
IUA and CEAIE will jointly organize an 8 week summer program including both study and internship experiences in China, to help Irish university students to develop 21st century professional skills and provide substantive work experience to jump-start their career in today’s competitive job market.
The main benefits of this summer study/work program are as follows
- Develop 21st skills in students including interpersonal skills, intercultural skills and language skills
- Personal development, opportunity to travel, experience new cultures, food and perspectives
- Employment prospects: Students who study abroad are considerably more attractive to employers as they develop a better understanding of local and global cultures and economies and how they are interconnected.
Duration: 3 week in-country language study + 5 week internship at a local or international company
Location: Beijing for summer 2019 at Beijing Normal University
- Mandarin courses in the University of International Business and Economics
- Internship placement in a reputable company
- In-campus accommodation during the program
- Cultural and Business classes
- Certificate upon completion
- Orientation and Departure program
- Cultural activities
- 24/7 emergency contact and on the ground support
- Peer Support / mentor
- Letter of support for Visa purposes
2018 Recipients and CEAIE Staff